I had an interesting experience the other day. While I was at a professional development for the upcoming school year, I went to the cafeteria to eat my lunch. My goal was to look over my notes from the training to see how I could turn the information into a course.
So, I unpacked my laptop, unraveled my cord, and went to plug the charger into the outlet. Before I knew it I hear a popping sound and blue and golden-colored sparks fly out of the wall I jumped back just in time to not get burned.
I was so thankful to God in that moment.
I didn't understand. Why did one charger cause sparks to fly? Was it permanently damaged? Or, was it the outlet? Was it old? If that was the case, then there needs to be a major inspection of that school to ensure no one is affected by faulty outlets.
That's when I took a further look.
Upon my own investigation, I realized that there was a freaking paperclip lodged in the socket. A PAPERCLIP! Who in the world would do such a thing? Who would risk their life or someone else's by doing this?
But I had to change my thinking. It's doesn't matter who put the paper clip in the socket. The point is that I did not look before I plugged the charger in the wall. I didn't inspect the area. I assumed everything would be normal. I didn't think that there was something that could potentially be harmful in my way.
I believe a lot of us experience that in life. We do not look before we leap into things. We do not investigate or research before we make decisions. We do not consider others or how it will affect people down the line. We just do.
Granted, I understand the whole thing about making quick decisions. I get that. But, I also believe that in our haste, we fail to prepare, fail to properly plan, fail to see the warning signs in the road.
Don't ignore the warning signs. Don't ignore industry changes, people's behaviors, or even your health. Signs are all around you. Know exactly what you're getting yourself into before you jump in, otherwise sparks will fly in your direction and you'll be in danger of getting burned.